Review: Boss and Me 杉杉來了





It’s been ages since I’ve blogged on anything but in no way does it mean that I have stopped watching dramas. To be honest, nothing much really made me crazy for the past few months and as usual real life always take precedence. That’s that but my interest have been revived the past weeks with goodies like Joseon Gunman and Fated to Love You being utterly winning in different ways. Everyone who started reading this site knew of The Princess Man’s recaps so there’s no way in hell I would have missed out on Joseon Gunman – I have that much faith in the production. And with names like Lee Jun Ki and Nam Sang Mi thrown into the mix, I wouldn’t miss this for the world. I’m one of many who saw the original FTLY but admittedly I lost interest in that one midway and had to force myself to complete it then. Jang Hyuk’s maniac laugh takes some getting used to but I would say the show as a whole totally channels a different vibe, and in a good way. Jang Na-ra is so endearing that it’s not hard to connect with her Kim Mi-young right off the bat.

I also took some time to check out offerings from other countries since I have the time at present and hola – Boss and Me is my latest favourite drama from China. To date, I have only completed one modern drama from China (and not for lack of trying) and that is Rent a Girlfriend Home for New Year. But as of now, Boss and Me would totally replace that drama as the best cdrama yet, for me of course. This 33-episode drama was adapted from a web novel and stars Zhao Li Ying and Hans Zhang. I have never read the novel so I have no expectation whatsoever but I really really adore this drama as a standalone.




BAM tells the story of a lowly employee, Xue Shan Shan’s romance with her boss, Feng Teng. Indeed, I would probably rename the drama as “Guidelines to date your boss” and that’s precisely what the premise is. Shan Shan (Zhao Li Ying) is a simple and regular girl from the country who was drafted into a company because she has a rare blood type – Type AB Rhesus negative. The boss, Feng Teng (Hans Zhang) has a younger sister, Feng Yue who also possesses this rare blood type and it was the company’s policy to give priority to those when considering new employees. And so when Feng Yue needed a transfusion during her delivery (she’s having a baby), Shan Shan was called upon for blood donation. In appreciation, Feng Yue wanted to thank Shan Shan by bringing her home cooked meal to express her sincerity when the usual gesture Feng Teng would consider is a big fat check.

For a big boss, Feng Teng only eats packed food from home (LOL) and orders his secretaries to deliver the other set of packed food to Shan Shan. Because of the high profile deliveries, tongues start wagging and Shan Shan’s colleagues are curious about her relationship with the boss. To escape the public eye, she hides on the balcony of the top floor and eats alone. What she doesn’t realize is, that balcony is right outside Feng Teng’s office albeit with dark one-way glass windows and binds. Now Shan Shan is a girl who loves her food and she always dig in with gusto. And believing herself alone on the balcony, that is precisely what she did. EAT! And really she was so adorable chomping down her food and her after-food mini self motivational dance. Feng Teng is not immuned to her cute and always watches her on the other side of the windows. In fact, he seems to develop a better appetite eating as she eats. It gets to the point that he is actually impatient if meetings drag on and interrupts with his lunch “appointments”. LMAO.
 
At the baby shower party, Shan Shan having felt embarrassed by the constant attention brought by the lunch packs tells Feng Yue not to send them anymore. Feng Teng is unwilling to give up his “lunch dates”, so he lies and keeps delivering lunch packs to her. When Shan Shan musters the courage to confront him, he lies that Feng Yue forgot to inform the chef before she left for Europe. And since she feels bad about having the secretaries deliver her food, she should come up to his room to eat. AHAHAHA. When she again tries to wriggle herself out of the arrangement, she ends up picking out food for him to compensate for her food.  Really, there’s no arguing with the boss and frankly Shan Shan is no match for his negotiation skills. On the other hand, he takes great pleasure in pranking her. And plying her with food. Heh.

 

More time passes, a certain Yuan Li Shu makes an appearance. She is the daughter of Feng’s household ex-nanny but currently a successful socialite and owner of a bookstore chain. More importantly, she grew up with the Feng siblings and harbours a one-sided crush towards Feng Teng. She quickly notices the growing attraction between Feng Teng and Shan Shan and is upset he would choose a nobody like Shan Shan. Even after Feng Teng and Shan Shan eventually started dating, she tries in many ways to insinuate the gulf in class between them.
 
Feng Teng’s best friend, Cheng Qi is a total opposite to Feng Teng’s cool and aloof mannerisms. He is like a ball of sunshine, approachable, popular with the ladies, kind and not afraid to show it. He has been in love with Li Shu since young – the three of them were close friends from school days – but knows of her feelings to Feng Teng. Still, he is supportive and caring, but totally not above trying to win her heart.
 
In the drama, Shan Shan is without a doubt the star of the show with the most developed character arc. And because we are always privy to her spoken and unspoken thoughts, this is really her journey to self discovery and self worth. She goes from an insecure girl who always second guesses her rich lover to a confident girl who is comfortable in her own skin. It can be quite frustrating to some viewers whenever she keeps doubting herself but I found it relatable and understandable. And because I know after every mistake she learns a little more about herself and continuously tries to improve. At one point she tells Feng Teng, “I may not be the one best suited for you, but I will work hard to be the best me for you.’
 
Feng Teng is not your standard cold rich heir. He is a smart, at times manipulative, confident and all and all quite the perfect guy. If there is a flaw, I would say that he speaks too little and is too unwilling to share. He is the kind of guy that broods over a problem, then quietly solves them. A lot of times, especially in the earlier part of the drama I felt that he gave way too many mixed signals when trying to solve things his way. Signals that confuses poor Shan Shan and compounds her already poor self-esteem. This is the first Hans Zhang drama that I finished and I thought he did well with the ultimately less developed character of Feng Teng. I do think he is much too thin that’s all.
 
The thing I like about this couple is, apart from the explosive chemistry and generous skinship, how they always talk things through. Even though at times after frustratingly long misunderstandings, I like that Shan Shan would always ask directly when she is confused and unsure. Yunno, as opposed to tantrums and shoutings. Communication is always the key…and they always emerged sweeter and more in love than before. Therefore, misunderstandings are never drawn out for long and usually resolved in an understated but totally sweet way. Feng Teng always allows Shan Shan to grow at her own pace and encourages her all the way. And I love that he always seems so proud whenever Shan Shan makes a monumental decision on her own accord. He might be forceful in certain decisions but he always recognizes that she needs to be her own woman. And this is a far cry from the timid girl who always treads with caution around her boss in the beginning of the show.
 
I really do not want to say much about the loopholes in the show because I just love it so damn much. The story flows well, the soundtrack is fantastic, there is no jarring dubbings and we have side characters that are equally lovely. From the rich but humble Feng’s family, Shan Shan’s girlfriend cum love advisor Lu Xuang Yi to Shan Shan’s strong and independent cousin sister  Liu Liu and Shan Shan’s protective and loving family. Even when the story slows down somewhat in the last stretch, there are plenty of squee moments to satisfy the fans. And of course, the ending is just perfect. 

 
 
I suppose if would not do to ignore the ghastly drawn thick eyebrows for Shan Shan but Zhao Li Ying is so naturally cute despite them that I eventually got used to them. And there are the supposed time jumps that just do not make sense because the characters are in their winter clothing from the beginning to the end of the drama LOL. By and large, this is a wonderfully sweet drama, low on the angst, that I hope gets subbed so that more viewers can fall in love with OTP like I did.
 

38 comments:

  1. I was so surprised to have liked this drama. Also the second modern cdrama I've ever sat through. My first was also "Rent a gf." Zhao Li Ying did a really good job as Shan Shan. Excellent character development.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot about Love Waking Up, which I also finished and reviewed...but that was really forgetable. BAM is deliciously good and even better than some of the dramas from taiwan.

      Delete
    2. HOW TO JOIN ILLUMINATI CULT TEMPLE Hello everyone, I am one of the Agents sent by the Lord Superior (Grand master) to bring as many of those who are interested in becoming a member of the great Illuminati order, I am a businessman, I own a Construction company, and I also own one of the Big Electronic Appliance shops in one of the country, and my family now lives in the USA, I was once like you, I & my husband was financially down to 1 square meal a day, what kind of life was that to live, I lived in poverty until I saw an opportunity to be a member of the GREAT TEMPLE OF ILLUMINATI BROTHERHOOD and I took my chances and I have been a member for close to 10 years now. The higher you get the richer you become. Illuminati makes your business grow faster than you can ever imagine, illuminati brings out the talent in you and makes you famous, as you become a member of the Illuminati order you will receive 2,000,000 US DOLLARS instantly in your Bank Account, these and many more other benefits you stand to gain, so if you are interested to be a member contact the official agent now Vs text/call and WhatsApp (+2349018100439) or email (brotherhoodi692@gmail.com) JOIN THE FAMOUS FAMILY TODAY & BECOME RICH POWERFUL, FAMOUS AND LIVE A GOOD LIFE, GOODLUCK.

      Delete
  2. I saw a synopsis for this drama and thought it was interesting but not sure if it has been subbed in English or not. Even though I am Chinese i can't speak a bit of it, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can find subs for it, you should really watch this. It's mostly sweet stuff with no crazy twists and it kinda reflects the attitude towards love and marriage in that particular culture...

      Delete
    2. If you are interested with the subbed version , you could go to the following site. Two lovely young ladies are doing an awesome job ! http://koreandramaonair.blogspot.com/2014/07/shan-shan-comes-to-eat.html

      Delete
    3. If you want to watch it with English Subtitles it is subbed on Youtube and also on a really good Drama website called Viki,com

      Delete
    4. I watchdis drama, i love to much for me dis is the best drama ever.specially to feng teng and xu shan shan. They are to much compatible.the behavior of feng i love to much, cool his decision is always perfect specially to xu shan shan.. i love u feng teng and xue shan shan.BAM is the best

      Delete
  3. Sounds really good! Let us know if you hear about subs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are interested with the subbed version , you could go to the following site. Two lovely young ladies are doing an awesome job ! http://koreandramaonair.blogspot.com/2014/07/shan-shan-comes-to-eat.html

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you please do episode recaps for Boss and Me? As of right now, i don't know of any sites that have it subbed

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.viki.com/tv/22938c-shan-shan-comes-to-eat
    viki.com has picked up the subbing project for anyone that's interested

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boss & me is my 2nd cdrama....1st was rent a gf home 4 x-mas...loved it. But boss & me is just awesome. I am frm new Zealand...I am still watching the show on dramania...at the very moment it has up 2 episode 4....does any1 know Wea else I can get it with English subtitle...I show episode 5 & so on, on YouTube but I don't understand the subtitles. I would really love 2 know what they are saying.....if any 1 knows....pliz pliz do suggest a site I can watch it on....English subtitles pliz....thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This drama sounds so cuteeee! This is definitely on my watchlist!

    ReplyDelete
  9. just watched this on viki, some with subs although the end no subs at all, and even with my limited Chinese, still kept me interested in watching till the end. I did grasp the majority what's going on! lol but would rewatch it again with subs, if there is any or maybe I should re-learn my Chinese and master it, then re-watch it again lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. My first cdrama that I had watched and finished and yet my number 1 asian drama so far.I love its light (less angst) story and pace which are so realistic in a workplace.I can't help not to love Shan Shan and Feng Teng.They are so adorable.I fell inlove all over again inspite my middle age...LOL.From previous comments ,now I would like to watch this REnt a GF for Christmas.I am hoping to discover another cdrama as sweet as this. A must-see drama...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Currently watching this drama and absolutely loving it! My first chinese drama was Loving, Never Forgetting (the plot was so close to Autumn Concerto that I just had to watch it and I don't regret it one bit!) and ever since then I'm really intrested in Chinese dramas at the moment. Taiwanese Dramas have a good plot and all but I always feel that it drags and I start to lose interest. If anyone has any recommendation for modern Chinese dramas, do let me know! Rent a Girlfriend is already on my list but anymore is welcomed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you can try "you are my sunshine", hope you like that :)

      Delete
  12. i really love this drama!!! i just finish this one only for 1 day and 1 night even my eyes where so tired but i really dont want to miss the episode i love the both of you when how the story goes and really learn from it.. that in every situation talk to it must be the greatest solution with honesty also... and the also the friend of shan shan.. i love also the character of the guy.. the handsome and strong personality of feng teng

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mee tooo... I am finished this drama 1 day 1 night and if Shan2 has a Panda blood so I have Panda EYES... ahahaha, I am not sleep all the night for finished this drama,LOL

      Delete
  13. i hope it would show here in the philippines

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really love this dramaaaaaa.. so sweet and love the main cast.. so real and maybe you can give me suggest for another good and sweet modern china drama

    ReplyDelete
  15. I came across this cdrama on youtube last week. It soooo good that I had to watch it 3x since lol. I cant get over their chemistry. Sweetness overload. I hope there's book 2 to this. I really wanna see their wedding and curious if she had kids? I'd like to read the book too. Anyone knows where I can buy it in english? :) Im in Canada tho. Xie Xie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm currently watching ShanShan this minute, well all day to be exact. It's my 4th viewing. Why? I loved it so much! I downloaded the entire thing from youtube on the Fanchannel. So i could watch it without worrying it will one day disappear from VIKI . I love 3 other cdramas.
    1. ISWAK 1&2( it started with a kiss) especially 2 and
    2.Someone Like you.
    3. Be With You.
    4. Singles Villa is also good
    My top 4. I got to this page by googling "is there anymore dramas like Boss & Me.
    BTW of all of them I'd say Someone Like You is the closest vibe to Boss & Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  17. Is there any dramas as good or with a cute romance like BAM-I just finished watching it and now it is hard to find a drama as good as BAM >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you should try Love 020 starring Yang Yang and Zheng Shuang

      Delete
  18. Is there any dramas as good or with a cute romance like BAM-I just finished watching it and now it is hard to find a drama as good as BAM >.<

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm in love with this drama. thumbs up for the whole cast!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You should watch love 020..its the best cdrama i've seen so far

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gosh, its 2018 and i just finished watch this drama after Eternal Love. Frankly, i grew up watching cdrama before kpop takes over me (LOL). However, BAM is seriously super cute romance. BTW, Zhao Li Ying looks like Yang Mi :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very amazing movie😇 xue shan shan and boss feng teng, is good couple, i'ved learn a lot about the two person to love, trust and reponsibilities about couple. Hands..up😘😇

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very amazing movie😇 xue shan shan and boss feng teng, is good couple, i'ved learn a lot about the two person to love, trust and reponsibilities about couple. Hands..up😘😇

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's a privilege to share this miraculous testimony to the world. I'm Beth Walters from England. My husband divorced me 4 months back and I have been filled with remorse for I didn't know what to do to amend issues with my husband. I searched for help on the internet on how I could get help in my marriage and I discovered great testifiers about WEALTHY LOVE SPELL who has been progressive with his spells. I got in touch with him and behold, Dr.Wealthy told me that he will prepare a spell for me that will bring back my husband. I was skeptical but I had no other option but to work with him. 2 days later, my husband called me that he's coming back home and from that day till this moment, we have been living peacefully. He is back now with so much love and caring. today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster has the power to bring lovers back and the most surprising thing is that our love is very strong now, every day is happiness and joy. and There is nothing like being with the man you love. I will highly recommend Dr.Wealthy  to anyone one out there who needs help whatsoever. If you have any problem contact Dr.Wealthy, i give you 100% guarantee that he will help you!!.  

    wealthylovespell@gmail.com

    Write him on Whats-app +2348105150446

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello everyone, Experienced Hackers Services are the only true and guaranteed cryptocurrency recovery professionals. I want to tell you about how I almost had my life ruined by a man who conned me out of $135,000 after I fell for a romantic hoax. I fell for this con and it damaged my connection with my family. My life savings were stolen by a scammer I met on a dating website while he seemed to be in trouble, and I assisted him numerous times since I was continually sending money through Bitcoin. As a result, I had to declare bankruptcy. I borrowed money to help him, but I later learned that he was a con artist. After a buddy of mine showed me an article about Experienced Hackers Services Email: (experiencedhackers @gmail. com) and how they can help you recover your stolen Bitcoin from these con artists, I was able to get through everything. I got in touch with them and to my astonishment, they quickly retrieved most of what I had lost. If you find yourself in such a predicament, get in touch with them right away. via Email: (experiencedhackers @gmail. com).. All Thanks to Experienced Hackers Services.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  27. If you've fallen victim to a Crypto fraudulent investment company, fear not. Wizard Asset Recovery is here to help. Unlike the common belief that once cryptocurrency is transferred to a decentralized exchange or private wallet, it's lost forever, our experienced team of cyber experts can assist in recovering your stolen Crypto.

    Simply reach out to Wizard Asset Recovery, and our dedicated team will meticulously review the details you provide, analyzing the circumstances surrounding the scam. This enables us to swiftly take action on your recovery case, ultimately providing a positive result where you'll have your funds recovered back to you.

    If you've been scammed by bitcoin or any other cryptocurrency fraud, don't hesitate to contact us. We specialize in recovering lost funds from scams including binary options, forex scam, and investment fraud. Trust Wizard Asset Recovery to help you reclaim what's rightfully yours.

    Contact us via email at Wizardassetrecovery @gmx.us or through WhatsApp at +
    13157561228. Let us help you navigate through this challenging situation and recover your lost funds.

    ReplyDelete